Know Your Post-Mastectomy Options
Breast reconstruction utilizes several plastic surgery techniques to restore a breast to near normal shape and appearance following mastectomy.
What should I expect during a consultation for breast reconstruction?
在你 breast reconstruction consultation, be prepared to discuss:
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your breasts and take measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and placement of nipples and areolae
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of breast reconstruction and any risks or potential complications
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. It's very important to understand all aspects of your breast reconstruction. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your breast reconstruction surgeon that you can take with you to your consultation.
It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.